Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Scary Good!

Okay, I'll be the first to admit, I don't really enjoy cooking with my kids. There, I said it. It's not that I don't enjoy spending time with them, because I do. I can just think of 1000 other ways that I would rather do it! It's not the kids that make it unenjoyable, it's the actual cooking itself.  Heck, I don't really even like cooking without my kids! I hate the preparation but even more than that, I hate cleaning up my mess!  I'm not a "cooker", never have been.  I do enjoy baking, but even that manages to stress me out if done in large doses! 
 But, I thought in honor of Halloween I'd suck it up, put on my Perfect Mom costume and do a few fun and easy Halloween cooking projects with them!  We found a couple of recipes online and got cookin'!




Hot Dog Mummies
(Makes 10) 
These were so stinkin' easy!  The kids literally did everything themselves.  All they really needed me for was to get them in and out of the oven and Hannah probably could've handled that if I had let her.


Ingredients
1 can of refrigerated breadstick dough
10 Hot Dogs
Mustard (optional)

Directions
*Separate the dough into individual pieces. 
*Use scissors or a knife to cut each raw breadstick into 2 strips
*Wrap the strips around each hot dog, starting at the bottom, to cover the hot dog like a wrapped bandage.

*Leave a small area unwrapped at the top (this will be the “face”).

*Wrap a final piece of dough around the end of the mummy in a turban fashion.

*Place the wrapped mummies on a cookie sheet and bake at 350° for 15 to 18 minutes until the dough is golden brown.

*Let cool for 3 or 4 minutes, then use the mustard to draw a face on the exposed area of the hot dog.
 Mummy in your tummy!


Tombstone Cupcakes
Makes 20 - 24
These were more work than the Mummies but the kids had so much fun making these!



Ingredients
*1 box cake mix
*16 ounces chocolate frosting
*3/4 cup chocolate cookie crumbs (we used oreo’s)
*Milano Cookies (or any oblong shaped cookies.  We used some vanilla sandwich cookies and pulled them apart.  We scraped the frosting out of the center and we got 2 “headstones" out of each cookie.)
*Black piping gel (you can find this at almost any grocery store.  Wilton and Betty Crocker both make it)
Directions
*Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions for cupcakes.




*Lick the beaters and crumble up your cookies while you are waiting for your cupcakes to cook.

*Once they are out of the oven and cooled completely, frost them, and cover generously with the cookie crumbs.





*Use the piping gel to write "RIP", Mom, or the names of every person in your family, like my kids did on each cookie.


*Stand each cookie up and push down into the top of the cupcake to create a headstone. 


Enjoy your Graveyard!





No comments: